Yesterday Brody had his normal 9-month checkup. At 9 months they don’t meet with the pediatrician, but just meet with a developmental specialist. I thought it was going to be an easy appt, since there would be no shots. Gosh, I was wrong.
The specialist said Brody needs to work on his movements. He’s just content sitting there, but needs to move from the sitting position to crawling position. And needs to start trying to pull himself up. He’s got the rolling thing down for sure. Anyway, she was just saying a lot of things, and I was feeling like I’m a bad mommy, but then I decided to not stress about it. I’m doing the best I know how :) But she did teach me a lot of things, so I’ll do what she taught me!
Brody weighed 17 lbs, 5 ozs.
Head circumference was 44 cm (I believe she said). And height was 28 inches.
Then the nurse had to take a few drops of blood to test his iron (normal procedure). First she took blood from his toe and it showed he was low in iron.
Then they had to do another sample from his thumb. He did not like that one bit. That reading was low too. So, they sent him to the lab for real blood work.
This is what they strapped Brody into. His legs and one arm. He was screaming. Broke my heart.
Me trying to soothe him after all of that. My poor baby. And after all that, the pediatrician called today and said that is blood work came back totally fine.
I’ve been pretty much exclusively breastfeeding him, but after all that, I’m gonna start feeding him rice cereals and other yummy stuff. I’ve tried to feed him before but he’s always hated it. But today my friend Brea showed me how to feed him. She was so good. She totally fed Brody!!! And he ate!
I can’t believe my baby is 9-months-old. Although, some days I can’t believe I’ve survived 9 months lol.
My sister-in-law April is not in any of these pictures because she was the one taking them. I was SO glad she was there. What a support! And she helped me feel okay! I miss her living with us!
Oh, by the way, I got my haircut, if you didn’t notice!
That was torture to watch! My poor little Brody! Love your hair Bren, you are looking so great!
ReplyDeleteI did notice your haircut! It's totally cute!
ReplyDeletePoor little Brody - those pictures were heart breaking. He is a very cute baby though!
You're a great mama and hey, didn't even know you were supposed to go to a developmental specialist @ 9 months. I guess that's why everything checked out OK for Big P and he's always been healthy in my eyes. Ignorance is bliss.
ReplyDeleteI noticed your cute haircut, too.
ReplyDeleteNever doubt your mothering skills, I think you are doing terrific! I'm sure you'll take that specialist's advice and have a little mover and shaker in no time. As my friend, G.I. Joe, says,"Knowing is half the battle," and now you know. You're awesome!
So sorry about the traumatic appointment...luckily babies are very forgiving:)
The first thing I noticed was your hair and I thought to myself, "Hmmm, did she cut her hair or comb it" ha ha.. Looks way cute! This may sound odd, but doctors don't always know everything! You do what you think is right. He will move around when he's ready. If you're up to feeding him beans, they are way high in iron
ReplyDeleteBrendita! You are doing a great job with him. Trust me, even with my second I am learning new things all the time. Tessie is 7 months old and still doesn't roll over.....oh well, I don't care she's developing fine other than that. And every child is an individual, some kids take time to learn things. As for the feeding thing, babies hate the texture and have to try something at least ten times before they really start to like it. Brody will get the hang of it as you just do it everyday. You are great and as your friend above said, DR's don't know everything. Especially when they only see your child for 10 mins at a time in thier office, as a mom you know what's right and trust that instinct! ♥ ya
ReplyDeleteIt is hard knowing everything to do. I don't think I have every worried so much than I have in the past four weeks. It is hard when you have someone else's life in your care. My mom says, though, that if you do your best you won't ruin your child, just giving them love and support and the rest will come.
ReplyDeletehey Bren,
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! That looks like the most traumatic thing ever! Poor little guy! I seriously can't believe they would strap him in like that...don't worry about what the dr's and specialists say Brenda! They think they know everything but they really don't. Every baby is different and you know your baby the best. Brody will do things on his timetable...not the specialists. you are a good mom and Brody knows it.
that bandaid on his toe is so cute. Your hair does look cute. I love short hair.
Your haircut is cute! Brody is such a cute little guy. He's growing up fast. And don't be too concerned about all the exact benchmarks for babies. Every baby has things they're advanced in. Hyrum is just barely walking at 14 months, but he's already talking so I'm not worried. You're a great mom! Love, Amy
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteNice blog.
Here is a blog that serves for your spiritual needs...
It has messages from the Holy Scriptures that teach us how to have GOD in all the aspects of our lives, and allow GOD's rule in every matter.
http://www.holyoneofisrael-reconciliation.blogspot.com
Have a blessed reading.
God bless you.
I dont' think he is lagging behind at all!!!!!!!!! All babies are different!!!! My Karson didn't lay on his stomach, roll over or crawl until he was 10 months old and he is just fine now:) It made it really easy not having to worry about him ever rolling off the bed or getting away from me;)
ReplyDelete