Every week I receive an email from babycenter.com about how Brody should be progressing. In this week’s article, it said the following:
If your toddler is continuing to breastfeed, congratulations. Extended nursing(breastfeeding beyond the first year) isn't for everyone, but it brings plenty of benefits.
Even though your child now gets most of his nutrition from solid food, breast milk provides calories, vitamins, enzymes, and valuable immunities. Studies have even shown that breastfed toddlers get sick less often.
Contrary to popular belief in the United States, breastfeeding past 12 months of age does not make kids overly dependent. Nursing creates a strong bond and provides emotional support that encourages independence and self-confidence.It brings challenges, too, such as rude comments from onlookers not used to seeing toddlers nursed. You may want to be prepared with some snappy answers to silly questions. For example, in response to "Is he still nursing?" simply saying "yes" can put a stop to the questioning. If someone says, "Are you ever going to stop breastfeeding?" you can say, "Yes, in about ten minutes."
Isn’t the last phrase the best?! Brody and I still both love nursing!
I'm so glad to hear that! For me, I WANT to continue to breastfeed past one year, even though my husband thinks is strange. I figured I had a rough first couple of months breastfeeding, and now its going great, so why stop at 1 year? You go girl!
ReplyDeleteJust don't end up like my grandma...when my dad's younger brother started all-day school, everyone was worried about how he was going to make it home for lunch. My grandma nursed him until he was 5. FIVE!!!
ReplyDeleteI think once the kid can unbutton your shirt and say, "Mom, I'm hungry." They've probably got enough nutrients to last them a while...but you've still got quite a while before Brody can do that, right? I think breastfeeding is awesome, though...too bad I'll never have the opportunity to put these damn boobs of mine to good use!
Amen sista! You know I'm all about breastfeeding for longer!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so SO jealous you're still breastfeeding. I was robbed! ... I loved the bonding, but only got to do it for a few weeks. (She was allergic)
ReplyDeleteI heart nursing!
ReplyDelete