A little over a month ago we bought Brody a wagon {from Craigslist of course} and he loves it. The only problem is the wagon did not come with seat belts, so he got use to not being buckled in. We ordered the seat belts and Don installed them when they arrived. First time that we buckled Brody in he started to cry and was not happy at all. So we unbuckled him and off we went.
Last week Don was on a walk with Brody in his wagon, and he wasn’t buckled in. I was at a meeting for the Enrichment Committee. During the meeting Don called me, which I thought was weird, because he would normally just text me during a meeting. I answered thinking something must be wrong. And it was.
Brody had fallen out of the wagon and directly onto the top of his head. I told him to look at his pupils and see if they were dilated. He couldn’t really tell. He told me he would call me back. So, I was sitting there in the meeting all nervous. He called me back after he ran all the way home carrying Brody. He said he took off his flip flops and threw them into the wagon, since they were slowing him down. It was about 1/2 mile.
When I got home I called my mom, since she is a nurse. She told me how to check his eyes and other stuff. He checked out okay, although we were still both really nervous. Yes, we are new parents! He had a big bump on his head and it was scratched up. By morning the bump had gone down. He still has a few scratches on the top of his head.
Don felt sick to his stomach the whole next day because he kept “hearing” his head hit the pavement. Ever since that night, Don always grabs me in the middle of night. His excuse is that he is dreaming about Brody falling out of the wagon. Mhmm, sure Don! lol jk. What a good dad!
Conclusion: We always buckle Brody into the wagon now, even if he doesn’t love it.
My sister's kid did that same thing, but out of a shopping cart onto a concrete floor! Kids are resilient, but holy cow, good thing someone invented seat belts for moving objects...and helmuts. :) I'm glad Brody checked out fine, I bet that was really scary.
ReplyDelete*helmet* I ALWAYS spell that wrong...and I forgot to catch it this time. Oops.
ReplyDelete