Tuesday, November 2, 2010

how I coupon

My friend emailed me asking me how I “coupon”, so I thought I’d share it on my blog. Any suggestions are welcome, because I would love to learn more about couponing.

People think they have to be clipping coupons all the time. Just the opposite. I rarely do. We order the Sunday paper ($1/week) and then my neighbor gives me her coupon inserts too. That means if there is a great deal, I can get double the deal! All I do is write the date on the insert as shown below:

IMAG0165

And then throw it in a folder like this. So easy!

IMAG0164

The big thing about couponing: SALE + COUPON = GREAT DEAL! So, it’s not just the coupon, but it has to be on sale too. But don’t worry, the websites do all the work for you!

The Sites I Use

http://www.couponmom.com/. I love this site for Walgreens, Target, and Frys.

http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5 (Arizona section for me, of course). I love this site for Albertsons, Safeway, and Bashas.

Blogs I Follow For Cool Deals (I don’t use my normal Google Reader for this)

http://hip2save.com/

http://moneysavingmom.com/

I used to be an avid Walmart shopper. I always just thought they were the cheapest. Oh, was I wrong. I’ve been couponing for 1.5 years now. Wish I would have started way sooner. I don’t think the amazing websites, that make couponing so easy, have been out that long though.

Things (all name-brand, quality stuff) I love to get at Walgreens and Target with coupons:

  • body wash
  • detergent (laundry and dishwasher)
  • tuna fish
  • olives
  • shampoo and conditioner
  • napkins and paper plates
  • makeup
  • face wash
  • crackers
  • razors
  • shaving gel/cream
  • etc. you’d be amazed at the things you can get!

Things (all name-brand, quality stuff) I love to get at grocery stores with coupons:

  • string cheese
  • yogurt
  • fish sticks
  • soup
  • refried beans
  • whole wheat pasta
  • tomato sauce
  • salad dressing
  • mayonnaise
  • hot sauce
  • salsa
  • cereal
  • cottage cheese
  • frozen veggies
  • lunch meats
  • peanut butter
  • butter
  • and the list goes on…

Yes, you can get tons of junk food, if you wanted to, but there are many healthier things you can get as well.

No, I don’t buy every thing with a coupon. I do love to go to Sprouts every Wednesday for their double-ad Wednesdays. Love their produce. I also love to shop at Food City for produce!

Lets say Bashas is having a great sale on strawberries, milk, and pork. The night before I’m going to go (once Brody and Don are asleep), I look at the site that does couponing for Bashas and see what coupon deals I can get there, besides the stuff they already have a great deal on. And since Walgreens is right next to Bashas, I cut out the coupon deals for them too.

I love couponing because:

  • it saves money
  • great way to get food storage
  • it’s easy
  • it gives you chills every time you get a great deal!

I recently read a book called The Cheapskate Next Door. In it, it said that the more you go shopping, the more you’ll spend. Very true. Although I coupon, and feel that I’m pretty frugal, I know that when I go shopping, I’m more likely to buy something “because it’s a great deal” even though we don’t really need it. So, I try to not go shopping as much as I could, since Brody and I have plenty of time on our hands!

Anyway, I could go on longer, but I’ve gone on long enough. If you want to learn more, just email me!

3 comments:

  1. I've been couponing for a few months now, and I love it! CVS has great deals, and if you scan your CVS card at the coupon machine when you come in, usually you get $4 off $20 coupon, so you can get things for free or super cheap with that and their ECBs. Fry's is my favorite store for groceries because not only is every coupon worth $1, but they accept competitor coupons. Sign up for Fresh and Easy newsletter, and they send you $10 off $50 coupon or $6 off $30 coupon quite frequently. So from that, I save A LOT of money. Just this morning, I purchased 41 items for $26.87, and saved $71.08 (73% savings). Also, if you sign up for e-coupons on Frysfood.com often times you can use the e-coupons and regular clipped manufacturer coupons on the same item. You can also print Target coupons, which many times there is a coupon for produce, deli, or bakery.

    Also, I too get very excited when finding a good deal, its fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to start this ... maybe you could just do it for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You coupon like me, I get two copies of the Sunday paper, and then my VT sends me her inserts and the ones that come in the mail. Then I go to a site called www.grocerysmarts.com They look through the ads each week and tell you what coupons were in what paper and then you can stock up etc. Then they tell you what items you can get for free if something is on sale and then you also have a coupon. You should look at the site, you can pick your state and then the store that you like to shop at! I have really enjoyed it and it doesn't take me long at all. We have stocked up on loads of things and I'm almost to the point where I can start shopping in my pantry more instead of always getting things at the store. Congrats by the way on the upcoming baby! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.