Wednesday, February 1, 2012

celiac disease

If you would have asked me two weeks ago what Celiac Disease was, I would have had NO clue. Ask me today and I could talk your ear off about it. The reason: Don was diagnosed with it last week. Talk about a shock!

A few months ago Don and I decided to get a yearly checkup from our family doctor, which we never do, but decided it would be a good idea to start. Don’s lab results came back that he was low in iron and vitamin D. How is that possible for a guy that eats meat and drinks milk?! They couldn’t really figure it out.

In the meantime, he needed to get a colonoscopy because of his dad’s history. And they said while they were doing that they will stick a thing down his throat and check things out there as well, since he has stomach issues occasionally, if he eats the wrong thing or something.

When he went in for his follow-up visit, they told him he has Celiac Disease (gluten allergy). Do you realize how many things have gluten in them? A TON. But there are many things that don’t, like M&Ms Smile  It won’t be hard to be gluten free at home. Work, vacations, etc., will be harder. It will just take more planning.

When Don was born, his family lived in Samoa, but his mom went to Hawaii to deliver him. He was born with a few issues, so he had to be in the hospital for a bit. In the meantime, his mom’s milk had dried up (no fault of his mom’s), so he had to be formula fed. It was a crazy time in life. In doing research about Celiac Disease, it turns out that a much higher percentage of formula fed babies have Celiac Disease. Bummer! So to all mom’s out there, PLEASE breastfeed your babies if at all possible!

New lifestyle changes for us now. The kids and I are going to try and be gluten free too, to support Don, but that will be hard to be 100 percent.

Maybe we never should have gone to our checkups lol.

Any of you out there have Celiac Disease?

6 comments:

  1. I asked Brenda if she was going to go 100% Gluten Free with me and guess what she said. No Way!!!! She has been a great support, I could not do this with out her. Like she said, eating at home is going to be cake, well with out cake. It is going out or having others cook for me that is going to be tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, on a side note. Everyone keeps telling me that I am going to lose a bunch of weight. Not the case, there is still plenty of crap that I can still eat. But this will help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer! On a plus side there are so many more products out there now that are gluten free! It used to be much much harder to find things... and yeah, eating out was a pain. Now there are tons of products and gluten free recipe blogs with really tasty things.

    So here's wishing you luck! Oh, and so glad that M&Ms aren't on the bad list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know a few people who are on gluten free diets. A lot of the gluten free products are yummier. That said, they are generally more costly, as well. So...enjoy the good food and increase your grocery budget. You should be fine. :) I hope treating this diagnosis helps Don feel WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a bummer deal! Good luck with the new lifestyle change!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister in law also can't have gluten, and she has lost a lot of weight because of that. She is also a very healthy eater too now. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.