My mom completed her bone marrow transplant last Wednesday night! Here are few snippets of things my aunt Jana (my mom’s donor) wrote. Pictures that were taken. And a few emails from my dad.
Jana, Feb 3: “Last night (Thursday) I flew into SLC - arriving at 9:30 pm. It was nice to get a phone call from Shauna right before I boarded the plane. I had such a calm feeling.”
Jana, Feb 3: “Today at 11 am I went in for my first of five shots. These shots help to create more stems cells in my bone marrow. When there is an excess of stem cells in my bone marrow, they are 'pushed out' into my blood. They gave me the shot in my abdomen. They told me they just needed a chuck of meaty flesh. Oh! Did I have options for them! As I lifted up my shirt to show my waist, they probably thought, "We hit the mother-load!" I received the shot to the left of my navel.”
Jana, Feb 4: “Last night at 5:40 pm I started to feel the effects of the drugs. Tired, bones slightly achy and slight headache. Insomnia- slept a few hours. I read a little and listened to the whole track of Ragan's i-pod. My bones were just achy enough that I couldn't sleep.”
Jana, Feb 4: “Today 2nd injection at 11 am. Kevin, Shauna and I had lunch on the 6th floor cafeteria together. We all got the salad bar. Kevin eats at a normal, healthy pace, but Shauna and I are extremely slow eaters. Wonderful to sit together- love to be with Kevin and Shauna. A good spirit about them. I just like them- a lot. Tomorrow, (Sunday) I'm going to meet them at the Huntsman Center for church at 10:30 am before my third shot at 11 am. It feels better to move around rather than sit or lay down. I only have pains where I have bones ;). Tonight they told me to take Tylenol PM so I can sleep. If that doesn't work tonight, they'll give me something else tomorrow.”
Jana, Feb 5: “Today has been a good day. Today I know that my whole family is fasting. We went down to the 2nd floor for me to get my shot. The nurse injected me really fast this time. She offered me some narcotics, but I didn't think I needed it. The five of us went to eat in the cafeteria there in the hospital, because Shauna and I needed to eat. Kevin bought us lunch, but he continued to fast. Last night they said I could take Tylenol PM. I took 2 before I went to bed and 2 in the middle of the night because my knees were bothering me. Today the medication is doing its job. I only ache where my bones are, but not all at once. I'll feel it in my pelvis and hips, then head, then right shoulder bland, then ribs, then femur. Neck and back a lot today. It's all bearable. My brain and body are working just a little slower. Its all good.”
Jana, Feb 6: “This morning when I arrived at the hospital at 10:50 a.m. Shauna had her chemo this morning. She said she was a little fatigued but not sick. I was so happy about that. Such a blessing! They went to run errands and I went in to get my 4th shot. The clinic was very busy today, each patient receiving important treatments. I was fine waiting my turn. All the nurses are calm, loving and patient. Yesterday and today I have felt that the drug they have given me is working. We're building those stem cells! The drug has effected my mind, and they didn't tell me it would. Slow to think, react, and decide. Maybe its a lack of sleep. I have found that my ability to spell has been impaired (ie my last post!). Tomorrow (Tuesday) is the day they will start the Harvesting Process. Shauna and Kevin asked if they could come pick me up in Cedar Hills at 6:15 am. It’s best if I don't drive tomorrow. I get my 5th shot at 7:00 am then at 8:00 am I am ready to go. If they don't get enough of what they need on Tuesday, I'll go in Wednesday to get the rest. On Wednesday they will proceed with the Transplant. They said it could take up to 3 hours. I will be with Shauna during this process. If Shauna has any negative reaction during this transplant process, they will slow it down and give it to her slowly. If need be, they'll stop, add some things (don't know what) to the blood and try again. I foresee it going smoothly; I know it will. Shauna and I were not aware of this, but it is a possibility that I may need to come back in a few months and donate again if Shauna's body is not producing the stem cells on her own. Thank you for your prayers and fasting. I am grateful that I have the family I do. There's not many who come from a family like I have.”
Jana, Feb 7: “Our day started earlier today. Kevin and Shauna picked me up at 6:10 am because it was advised that I not drive today. They were five minutes early to get me, but I was prepared that they'd be early because the Lowes are always early or right on time- a quality I love about them! Got to Huntsman at 7am. Got my shot. Vitals done and then I got some good sized needles stuck in both arms. For four hours they harvested Stem Cells. Nurses added calcium for the tingling on the lips and behind my ears to go away. They also got me some warm blankets when I got cold. I had to squeeze a red ball for four hours with my left hand. I felt a little tired/depleted, but not sick or faint. They think that I gave 3 million Stem Cells today. Shauna needs between 5-10 million Stem Cells. So tomorrow we'll arrive early and repeat the same routine. Pray for me to yield a lot of Stem Cells tomorrow. Shauna has radiation tomorrow, then is scheduled to receive the transplant at 4:00 pm Utah time (Wednesday). This could take up to 3 hours. The critical time for her to fully accept this donation is the first three months. Tomorrow will be a full day. A doctor called me a few hours after harvesting. He said they tested my blood and calculated 6.4 million Stem Cells. I hung up the phone and just cried. So grateful.”
Jana, Feb 8: “Shauna was with me for my shot, and then she went to start her radiation treatment. She can tell you about that. She came back when she was done and did not feel sick. I was so happy! At 9 am we worked on the harvesting process for 4 1/2 hours. I am waiting to hear how many Stem Cells that were collected today. I had a goal. Due to the volume of fluids that were pumped into me, I had to have the potty chair brought over. Bummer haha! Shauna was admitted and we are in her room right now. A nurse walked in that was with Shauna during her last transplant. She's a head nurse on the floor, and was so excited to be assigned Shauna's nurse. She said that Shauna was her favorite patient. She talked about Kevin and Shauna's kind hearts and their strong and loving relationship. (We have all witnessed those qualities. It made me feel warm inside when others who come in contact with them observe the same thing!) They just prepped her with three medications before they do the transplant in a half hour. Kevin is reading the binder of information about Shauna's journey and eating peanuts out of my purse. We are listening to some church music playing on a CD player that Kevin and Shauna brought. Tonight we found out that 4.8 million stem cells were collected today, which totaled 11.2 million. They gave Shauna at total of 9.1 million stem cells tonight and will freeze two million in case they need to use those at a future time.
Emotions were felt inside me as they started the transplant. Shauna did not have any adverse reactions to the transplant tonight. Grateful! YESSSSSS! The next ten days we want her to have a little reaction, but not a big reaction. The next three months are the critical time. Shauna was not sick, just tired. Kevin drove me home. Whitney fixed me a chicken and black bean burrito. It tasted delicious- I was so hungry. I'm packing my bags and head home(Seattle) in the morning.”
Dad, Feb 9: “Thanks to Jana's healthy stem cells Shauna is feeling great this morning.”
Dad, Feb 10: “Shauna is feeling a little nauseous today because of the effects of the radiation treatment. Radiation treatment may cause her to have cataracts in the next few years but that can be corrected. When Shauna was first diagnosed with Lymphoma her survival probability was only 30 %. The average patient having a donor stem cell transplant has a 75% chance of being permanently cured a 10 % chance of not being cured but being in remission for many years and a 15% chance of the cancer returning soon after the transplant. Shauna is younger and is in better health than most patients so her odds of being cured is higher than 75%. No matter what happens Shauna and I will always be eternally grateful to Jana for donating her stem cells.”
My aunt Jana and my mom. My mom is the oldest of 7 kids. Jana is the baby.
My amazing parents!
Jana getting one of her many injections.
Donating!
Day 1 donation.
Day 2 donation.
My mom receiving all the stem cells. Medicine is a miracle!
All done with the long process!
Singing happy birthday to my mom. Since she is a brand new person after the transplant. She has to have all her immunizations again. She has my aunts DNA now too. Very cool!
Makes me so emotional looking at all the pictures! I love my mom and my aunt so much! Family is the best gift in the world!
Thanks for putting this up we have been wondering so much about your folks. Let them know that we love them and pray that things will go well.
ReplyDeleteChuck and Fay Hicks
What an amazing journey! You DO have an incredible family! Think of you and your Mom often! xoxo
ReplyDeleteSuch a remarkable story and 2 amazing women!! Praying for miracles to continue :)
ReplyDeleteEither I'm a bawl baby, or the spirit your family exudes can travel through cyber space...because I cried the whole time I read this. Medical advancements are amazing. Your family is amazing. And the fact that your aunt and mother look SO great is amazing. Dude, I'd be in my pajamas with no make up the WHOLE time...their smiles light up the photo! Your family is always in my thoughts and prayers, Bren. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a miracle! I am so happy that all went so well. Sisters are the best! I love your your sweet mom and will continue to pray for her.
ReplyDeleteI love this post and I love your family. Jana's hair style is much like your mom's wig. Xox.
ReplyDeleteThis is so wonderful! I am in tears. You are all in our prayers. Please tell your mom and dad hi from the Downies!
ReplyDeleteLoved this. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteJust looking at all those machines and tubes and nurses...amazing! It is a miracle what they can do in the medical world. But is is even better what Heavenly Father can do!! We will keep praying for your mom. Despite all these procedures and chemo, she still has a smile on her face. What a sweetie!
ReplyDelete